Thursday, September 15, 2011

US Army War College Locator


When I worked for at the US Army War College in 2010, the administration was considering giving iPads to the next year's incoming class and were interested in exploring potential uses for the device. One of my jobs of the summer was to develop two web apps for the campus: a trail guide for the US Army Heritage Education Center Trail, and a locator app for the War College campus.
The design process for the Heritage Trail app (which I don't have access to) was a learning experience because it was the first time I ever used Adobe Fireworks for mockups. It featured a transparent menu overlay on an image of one of the cannons on display.
The locator app was quite different, as I had very little idea how to accomplish what I wanted to do. I wanted the app to use javascript geolocation to find a user's location and display it as a glowing blue dot that moved as the device did. This took a few days of research and debugging to get right, as I was using the Google Maps API. Once the tricky part had been accomplished, I added smaller details, such as 3D renderings of the many of the buildings on campus and nametags and descriptions for each.

No comments:

Post a Comment