Sunday, October 30, 2011

Teen Titans "Raven" Cape





Teen Titans was a children's cartoon that aired from 2003-2006 and it is one of my very favorite cartoons. I wanted to be Raven for Halloween, but she was one of the less popular characters and most of the official licensed costumes were for children. Most parts of the costume were easy to find substitutes for, but the distinct "beak" shape of her hooded cape was a crucial part of the costume.


I had to design my own pattern to create the cape. I started out with sketches of how I wanted the hood to fall, as that was the part that I cared about most, before moving on to prototypes made from newspaper. Once I was satisfied with the shape, I used my newspaper patterns to cut out the fabric I would need and started sewing. It isn't a perfect approximation, but it was good enough to fool a few small children who were out trick-or-treating, so that is good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment